Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What the hell could possibly be worth $10/$12?

For those of you looking for a movie to see, I highly (giggle) recommend Shutter Island.

Whether or not you are a fan of Scorsese, Shutter Island is a must see film! Why, Aaron, is Shutter Island a must see film? Well, first off, the film has as amazing atmosphere. Without giving too much away, Shutter Island's atmosphere is amazing because the movie makes you feel as if you yourself are on an island in the middle of the ocean, full of "mentally insane" people. From the old Civil War type prisons to the quarters where the staff stay, one gets the sense that there is something waiting for you in some dark corner somewhere.

Aside from atmosphere, another thing I liked about this movie was the way it made me think during the entire film. I was constantly questioning myself and challenging what I had been told from scene to scene. Every time I felt like I had a hold of the story, a scene came along to derail me from my thought processes. In fact, I would still argue that the end of the movie is purposely a little vague, as to give the viewer a sense of confusion, something that is fantastic for a film like this!

All in all, even though movies nowadays cost a lot of money, (in terms of being paid minimum wage, Shutter Island cost me an hour and 1/2 of labor.....lame) I would recommend Shutter Island to anyone who loves movies. Just don't expect to leave the theatre with a sense of closure, which, at least in this movies case, is just fine with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment